Joined by Minister of Energy, Bob Chiarelli and Jim Durrell, Chair of Hydro Ottawa¬ís Board of Directors, the event marked the official announcement of construction at the historic site.
Hydro Ottawa¬ís vision of the Chaudi√®re Falls expansion project is three-fold: produce clean, renewable energy in an environmentally responsible way be a public space to be enjoyed by all and serve as a place of recognition and celebration of Canada's First Nations and Ottawa¬ís industrialist past.
- The renewable power produced at the facility will feed into the provincial grid and will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.
- The new site will offer safe viewing platforms and greater public access in the form of a defined corridor on the roof of the new below-grade hydro facility.
- Hydro Ottawa is Ontario¬ís largest municipally owned producer of green power.
- Hydro Ottawa¬ís existing green energy portfolio includes four hydroelectric stations at Chaudi√®re Falls and majority shares in landfill gas-to-energy plants at the Trail Road and Lafl√®che Landfills, representing 39-megawatts MW.
- Earlier this year, Hydro Ottawa under its subsidiary, Energy Ottawa acquired 10 run-of-the-river hydroelectric facilities from Fortis Inc. in Ontario and nearby New York State representing installed green energy capacity of 31-megawatts MW.
- When the new Chaudi√®re Falls facility is operational, Hydro Ottawa¬ís renewable energy output will total nearly 99-megawatts MW.
¬ďHydro Ottawa¬ís Chaudi√®re Falls expansion promises to be an important addition to our community by providing clean, renewable energy to our homes and businesses as a public space where Ottawa residents can come together, and as a celebration of Indigenous Canadians. I applaud Hydro Ottawa for their vision, and look forward to the benefits our community receives from this project‚Äé,¬Ē says Bob Chiarelli, Ontario Minister of Energy.
¬ďI am extremely proud to be part of an organization that dares to dream of a more renewable energy future for Ottawa. Hydro Ottawa is making that dream a reality with minimal impact on the environment, inviting collaboration from all stakeholders, and by putting Ottawa residents at the centre of its vision for Chaudi√®re. Once again residents will have unobstructed access to this historical site and birthplace of renewable electricity in Ottawa," says Jim Durrell, C.M., Chair, Board of Directors.