It held receptions at all its Kansas offices to celebrate a century of providing electric service in the state.
The utility got its start on December 11, 1909, when the American Power and Light Co.
incorporated Kansas Gas and Electric Co. to operate south and southeast Kansas properties owned by Electric Bond and Share.
The Kansas Power and Light Co. was incorporated in 1924 to serve north and northeast Kansas.
The two operations merged in 1992, but continued to operate as KGE and KPL until 2002, when Western Resources became Westar Energy.
Westar Energy serves more than 684,000 customers in 55 counties.