Power surge, faulty wiring likely cause of fire that killed 2

GEORGETOWN, GUYANA - Fire officials say a powerful electricity surge that followed a four-hour blackout in Guyana's capital may have caused a fire that killed two children in their home.

Fire Department commanders say they don't know the precise cause of the early Easter blaze in the working-class Wortmanville section of the capital, Georgetown. But they say it's possible the surge may have sparked faulty wiring at the wooden home, where a 14-month-old boy and his 3-year-old brother were killed.

Residents of Georgetown have frequently complained about hazardous surges during rolling blackouts.



Search NEWS ARCHIVES

in Year

TRAINING EF COURSES
LATEST Electrical Jobs

Content Community Connection
Top