The Manager, Electrical and Fire Safety Systems is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and operation of the university’s electrical and fire safety systems in accordance with university standards and all applicable codes and regulations.Supervisory Responsibility
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Directly supervises: 3-5 FT staff
Required Education and Experience
- While performing the principal accountabilities of this position, the incumbent may be exposed to temperature extremes (i.e. hot or cold) or be required to perform work in confined spaces and/or small work areas.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- At least 4 years of progressively responsible work experience in the design and construction of and/or the operations and maintenance of Electrical systems including experience with Medium Voltage equipment and associated safety training
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and design specifications
- Understanding of and experience with medium voltage (120 V - 13.8 KV) and low voltage (< 120V) electrical systems
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituencies
- Experience working with minimal supervision
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of the National Fire Protection Association & National Electric Code, District of Columbia and IBC codes
- Understanding of and experience with both fire detection/alarm and fire suppression/extinguishing systems
- Experience contracting for (or bidding or buying) labor, equipment and materials associated with electrical and/or fire safety systems
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Professional Engineer’s license or a Bachelor of Science in Construction, Engineering, or Fire Protection in lieu of, or in addition to, a Master Electrician’s license
- Military or Fire Department Leadership experience as an officer (commissioned or non-commissioned)
- Additional years of Operations and Maintenance work experience with Medium Voltage electrical systems
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
To apply please visit: https://careers.american.edu/Staff/job/Washington-Manager%2C-Electrical-and-Fire-Safety-Systems-%2812143%29-DC-20016-8057/576414800/