Under the general direction of the Manager, participates in identifying, assessing and analyzing the impacts of existing and planned market design changes. Performs detailed economic and engineering evaluations including pricing, adequacy and network simulation studies, and detailed engineering review of optimization and algorithm methods. Analyzes market outcomes to ensure results are consistent with an efficient and effective market design.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs detailed economic and engineering analysis of existing and future market design rules.
- Analyzes market results to ensure pricing and market outcomes are consistent with economic optimality object of the market design.
- Assesses market problems and provides input on the analytical approach necessary to estimate the market impact of the problem.
- Uses economic and engineering models to market impacts and presents results in detailed reports subject to industry, regulatory and/or peer review.
- Identifies and participates in resolving implementation, design and integration-related problems or potential problems within assigned areas, and may propose solutions to such issues.
- Develops reports and automation of analysis where appropriate to streamline the production of important market metrics.
- Participates in market design and development efforts to identify new measures necessary to validate market results and leverage opportunity for incorporating features that will improve market performance. May develop business procedures as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
Level of Education and Discipline:
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Economics or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Amount of Experience:
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience:
- Experience in a combination of the following:
- utility/power industry or regulatory, preferably in a similar ISO
- experience in system analysis and expansion
- economic analysis
- data analysis experience
- experience with real-time applications * Experience with economics, market design, finance, or programming concepts desirable
- Experience with advanced power system operations and principles, stability analysis, optimization techniques, California power transmission networks, or network modeling is desirable
- Experience with large analytical or economic projects involving various groups of specialists.
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to identify engineering or economic problems in the electric utility industry and propose solutions
- Familiarity with programming in Matlab, C, C++, GAMS, SAS or R is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential
Job Type: Full-time
- power industry/economic analysis/ power regulation: 2 years